Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Blog Number 1

 The reading I read this week was "Privilege Power and Difference" by Alan Johnson. This week I chose to pick three quotes from the text to talk about their meanings and relevance towards the text. 

The first quote I chose was "No matter what privileged group you belong to, if you want to understand the problem of privilege and difference, the first stumbling block is usually the idea of privileged itself." When most people hear the word "privileged" they don't really take the time to think about it deeply. They automatically loo at it as "gender" or "racial" privileged. Some people really don't understand the full meaning of privileged. The reason why this quote is so relevant in this text is because it is getting the readers attention, getting them to really open their eyes. While reading this, the reader can quickly find out that they are about to learn the true meaning of the word "privledged". 

The next quote that I have chosen was "Whites are less likely than blacks to be arrested, once arrested, they are less likely to be convicted and, once convicted, less likely to go to prison, regardless of the crime or circumstances. Whites, for example, constitute 90 percent of those who use illegal drugs, but less than half of those in prison on drug-use charges are white." This quote stands out to me not only because it has a very valid point, but also because it shows actual numbers to better further the point that is being made. I feel that this quote is an eye opener to the readers, and shows the lack of equality we have in the jail systems. 

The last quote I chose from the reading was "In one way or another, privilege shows up in the daily details of peoples lives in almost every social setting." This quote relates to some of the people I used to go to high school with, so I feel it is an eye opener not only for me, but for other readers too. People at my old high school would use what they had, to show it off. If some people had more money and more privileges than other individuals, they would make sure to show it off. 


Equity vs. Equality: What's the Difference - Examples & DefinitionsThis picture shows that there should be equality, no matter your age, size, or color of your skin. 


Point that can be shared in class: I noticed that there was a part in the reading that said that males often deny the exsitence of male privilege because most of them do not feel happy or fulfilled in their own lives, many believe that you cannot be privileged and "miserable" at the same time. 


3 comments:

  1. Nice job Coral! I like how you added in the part about some of the kids from highschool, I agree with you! I saw alot of that at our highschool and always thought it was wrong of people to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the last point about people showing off what they have. I grew up with and still know tons of people who do that and it I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good start, Coral. These quotes really help you focus in on some of Johnson's key points. I would love to see you reflect on the image you chose... Equality means that everyone in the pic got the same block to stand on. But the shortest person still can't see over the fence! Is this a good strategy? (I happen to know the second part of this image called EQUITY which I think Johnson might like better! https://medium.com/@CRA1G/the-evolution-of-an-accidental-meme-ddc4e139e0e4)

    ReplyDelete

Blog #10

For my final blog post, I have decided to do three quotes from the article "The Future of Healing".  The first quote I chose from ...