Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Blog #4

 In todays blog I a reading the article "Still Separate, Still Unequal: Teaching about school segregation and educational inequality". I decided to do the quotes option as I feel it will best help me describe the article, and teach others about it. 


My first quote is "'No one is really talking about school segregation anymore,'" Elise C. Boddie and Dennis D. Parker wrote in this 2018 Op-Ed essay. 'Thats a shame because an abundance of research shows the integration is still one of the most effective tools that we have for achieving racial equity.'" If research is proving that integration is a very effective tool, why isn't it being talked about more? We have tools to fix this issue, and yet things are not being put into action. I feel people need to stop ignoring the problem. 


My second quote is "School segregation and educational inequality may be a sensitive and uncomfortable topic for students and teachers, regardless of their race, ethnicity or economic status." I feel that sometimes it's good to step outside of boundaries to educate children on important facts like this. Unless the child is absolutely not wanting to talk about the situation, I think it should be talked about to spread awareness. 


The third quote I chose is "School districts that predominantly serve students of color received $23 billion less in funding than mostly white school districts in the Untied States in 2916, despite serving the same number of students." This to me is just shocking, why should there be different amount of funding to different schools. All children deserve the same treatment from schools, and colored students are not getting it. 



Link to Mondays async work: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UmiwDpAOK9Marzr4EwQmy7mawYWrgXEHy9iyK8tif8I/edit 



Civil Rights and Education: Teacher Resources | RFK Legacy Education Project



3 comments:

  1. Even though those topics can be uncomfortable it is still beneficial to talk about those things and make it comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the same second quote as you. I agree with that we should step outside and be uncomfortable it can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job talking about these topics because they are tough to talk about because it makes people uncomfortable

    ReplyDelete

Blog #10

For my final blog post, I have decided to do three quotes from the article "The Future of Healing".  The first quote I chose from ...